Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Memories

I've been thinking alot about what I remember about Grandma and Grandpa. Thought I would share just a few that stand out to me.

*Many a gospel lesson (Gospel of the Clean Plate...that is) taught from the step stool with the fold up step. Can you remember the color of the seat?
*Picking raspberries from their HUGE patch, an empty paint can (clean of course) tied around my waist with a flour sack towel. Grandma always telling me to stop eating the berries "or there won't be enough to put up"
*Peonies...I purposely added some to my front flower bed just this year
*The smell of Grandpas closet as we played inside
*I always think of Grandma whenever I visit with someone and they rest their hand on my arm or leg. I swear she could not complete her thoughts without that physical connection.
*I always think of Grandpa whenever I see someone close their eyes when they are speaking, I loved the laugh/smile/excitement that came over his face right after he opened them back up after he made his point
*Dried apricots---nobody has ever made them better (harder...if you remember) Sorry mom
*Digging potatoes while listening to conference or a BYU game
*Buckets of rocks. Grandpa and Grandma didn't visit our house often (seemed we always congregated at their house) but I remember Grandpa bringing a couple buckets of rocks every time he visited and dumping them in the irrigation ditch
*I have wished from time to time that I had Grandpas money printing press that was stored in the cabinet above the couch in the TV room...who got that by the way?

Anyway that was more than a few.

I miss them.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Bri, those are great memories, it made me think of my grandparents and all the fun times I had with them, You can tell they were from the same generation, I too had a problem with the rasberry bushes! :)

Marisa said...

I loved this! Thanks, Brian. It brought back such a flood of memories. I loved when we did those big weanie roasts in the backyard. I also loved swinging on the swing in their huge cherry tree. Oh, and how can I forget those amazing cherries that we would pick right around Strawberry Days time (or at least that's how I remembered it). I still feel sad that I can't have their cherries around this time of year when I see how expensive they are at the grocery store. And I loved the days of sliding down their clothes chute and hoping none of the adults saw us.

Lisa Hammer said...

Brian,
Love this! I just don't quite know what I am doing yet1 I will play around and figure it out. Thanks for getting this together.

Lisa Hammer said...

Memories of Grandma & Grandpa are still vivid in my mind. I loved helping grandpa in the big garden mostly watering (loved playing in the irrigation)and swinging on the tree swing. Grandma's great meals and of course, always the ice cream. It was always fun to visit especially on Sunday's because I knew I wouldn't only see Grandma and Grandpa but usually my aunts, uncles and cousins as well. I remember looking forward to the annual weanie roasts and was always surprized to see grandma in pants! Wow - I love these memories.

Connie said...

Grandma was the one that really taught me how to cook. Every summer I would call at least a dozen times...Mom how long do you pressure beans...How much sugar do you put in peaches or is there really sugar in tomatoes? She made the best cinnamon rolls, and I still can't come close to her potato salad. Our kids laugh that Grandma could feed you anytime you happened to show up. I remember Grandpa laughing at me the first time I helped dig up potatoes...I had no idea they came from the ground (never grew up with a garden) and I got really excited when one would pop out of the ground.
I really miss them too.

ann said...

Brian those were great memories! It also brought back a flood of memories for me also. I loved how Grandma and Grandpa made you feel like you were the most important person in there lives (even though everyone was) I loved how grandma would always say "thats so special" when you told her something about your life. I also miss them!
Thanks for this blog..it is going to be fun to keep in touch!