Thursday, November 20, 2008

An unexpected find...


I was up at the Salt Lake City cemetery wandering around while Robyn was doing hair for a wedding. I have always loved this cemetery. It has such a variety of headstones and so much history. I was walking through an area and came upon this headstone out of nowhere:


Posted by Picasa

I have always felt some sense of pride for my pioneer "ancestor". I have always heard the stories of Thomas Bullock growing up. Some of you may know some more. Heck, the guy put up with three wives! (Just kidding Robyn, you are a beautiful angel). But seeing his headstone caused me to search the Internet for more  information about him. Wikipedia had this. I also found a great picture of him here. Pretty handsome guy, but his spelling was no good...(Kanyon?); OK, I guess he was a pioneer..

There are  a lot of great stories from this great recorder of early Mormon history. It reminds me of the journals that grandpa Bullock had, and all of the interesting and important things he documented. Aunt Joyce, and Aunt Georgia were also very good at it. 

I know that I don't nearly write things down as much as I should. I suck at keeping a journal, even on my mission. I know that years from now, my kid's, kids will wonder what problems or excitement I had in my life. And yes, We have been told by prophets for a long time about the importance of journals.  I think I am going to dust off my journal and catch up on, like, 10 years worth of stuff. You are all welcome to repent with me if you like! Grandma Bullock would say that would be "precious".

No comments: